Hey all!
So as you know by now, the majority of my work here in Nepal is with refugees, particularly from Somalia. I have become rather passionate about refugee work and also feel like a proud mother when it comes to my refugee students. So, the past couple of weeks I've just beamed with proudness of them and I want to share why with you.
First, my 10th grade Somali refugee student has been nationally recognized in Nepal! 10th grade is the graduating year here and intense exams are given. He is the first international student in Nepal to ever take these exams! Now, the reason I find this so impressive is because 4 years ago he didn't even know any English. And now he's taking such intense exams in English to graduate in a foreign country! And not only is he expected to pass, but he's expected to be one of the top students in the whole country! So I've worked with him one-on-one extensively and it just makes me really proud of all the work he's done for this national recognition.
Second, just today one of the Somali families got news that they are finally being relocated! They've been here for 4-5 years waiting waiting waiting until they day they get to go to a safe, developed country where they have opportunities, good schooling, and can earn money. When they first came to Nepal, they imagined it'd be only a month. Can you imagine waiting for 5 years?? So they just got a 2 weeks notice that they will be moving to California! So not only is this great news for the family that is going, but it's great news for all of the Somali refugee community here. Things are finally rolling, opportunities are coming, and their hopes are rising! So as sad as I am to see this family go, as they are all truly wonderful, I'm happy to see that a more positive life will soon be in their hands so soon.
That's my quick update as I'm just really happy right and wanted to share with you! Hope all is well!
woot woot!!
ReplyDelete