There are countless festivals in Nepal! Since Nepal is primarily Hindu, and Hinduism has hundreds of gods, there are many days to celebrate. The schools get at least one additional day off every 1-2 weeks because of so many festivals. I would like to share a few of them that have stuck out to me since I arrived 7 months ago.
Gai Jatra (August-September)
Literally means “Cow Festival”. This day celebrates those who died in the previous year. Children dress up as the deceased with costume and make-up. Cows are decorated and are believed to guide those that died to Yama.
Teej (September)
This is the Women’s Festival. All women fast for 1-3 days. Married women fast for their husbands’ well-being and prosperity. Single women fast in hopes to find good husbands some day. Red, fasting, and dancing sums up the Teej scene.
Dasain (October)
The importance of Dasain is equivalent to the U.S.’s Christmas. This is the big holiday of the year. It lasts for 15 days and celebrates the goddess Durga’s triumph over evil forces. Goats are sacrificed and their blood is scattered to ensure safety for the next year. Families have parties at each other’s houses, men play cards and gamble, and everyone dances.
Tihar/Diwali (October/November)
Nearly as important as Dasain holiday. On the first day, crows are worshipped. Second, dogs. Third, cows. Carnation necklaces and tikas (the red dot on the forehead) are placed on dogs and cows on their special day, including the strays running the streets. On the fourth day, the goddess of wealth, Lakshmi, is welcomed into homes by decorating the entire house with lights. It reminded me of Christmas in the U.S.! Nepal even allows a full night of electricity during Diwali! The fifth day, brothers are worshipped, tika-ed, and given gifts.
Shivaratri (February)
Shiva’s birthday is celebrated. Sadhus (very devoted Hindus who’ve dedicated their lives to Shiva) from India and Nepal come to Pashupatinath Hindu Temple in Kathmandu. They freely and nakedly bathe in the Bagmati River, which is believed to be holy (uh… if only you’d seen it you might think otherwise), and smoke weed all night long.
Holi (March)
It’s known as the Festival of Colors to bring in Spring. How is it celebrated? With water balloons of course! On this day many people won’t even venture out of their houses because water balloons are freely thrown at any passers-by. And the balloons aren’t always filled with water… sometimes colored paint, or even urine, gum, or broken glass. I’ve heard that sometimes people will even come into an open house and cover people with paint! A week before the official Holi day, people start preparing. This week I was nearly hit by a water balloon (or I hope it was water…) walking home to and from school 3x! So many people have told me that I should stay in this day, especially because my white skin is a target! The official Holi day is this Saturday… so we’ll see how I survive it! I might just have to throw a few water balloons myself : )
Kelsey - What's the background on Holi? :)
ReplyDeleteHoli is a Hindu holiday. Its purpose is to welcome in Spring. Since Spring is known for all its new colors blooming after winter, it is known as the Festival of Colors. Nepalis celebrated colors through paint and colored water, which then turned into also throwing lolas, or water balloons. Normally the kids are the big ones to celebrate with parents watching from the balcony, until a water balloon is thrown from another balcony! haha. It was a really fun day. I painted my face with the 3 younger boys in our house, but then stayed inside! I also spent a lot of time on the roof watching and even dodging a few water balloons. It's literally a city-wide, even nation-wide, water-balloon/paint fight!
ReplyDelete