Thursday, April 14, 2011

Another Year Between Years

Last Sunday, April 10th, we finished the school year at Elim. It seems early, doesn't it? Don't get jealous to quickly, the next school year starts this Monday, April 18th! There is only a 1 week break between school years. So for this week of holiday, what did I do? Well I had originally made plans with a friend, but as I told you before, Nepali friendships aren't reliable. So those plans ended up not happening, which really disappointed me. However, the week has ended up being a great time! I will share with you some of the random things that I've filled it with:

-KFC! I decided it was okay to treat myself to a taste from home. All the rice is starting to get old! I thoroughly enjoyed eating some tasty spicy chicken fingers and a brownie sundae : )

-Basketball in the rain! The monsoon season is approaching and so some evenings have been filled with rain. As I’m playing basketball with the Somali guys, the rain just soaks us. I’ve come to really enjoy basketball in the rain!

-Walking, walking, walking! Whenever I have time, I will walk to my destination rather than take public transportation. And this week I’ve definitely had the time! So I’ve spent an average of maybe 3-5 hours a day walking!

-Phone conversations! With limited electricity, 9 hr 45 min time difference, and chaotic schedules, it isn’t so easy to make phone calls back home. Each week I call my boyfriend, sister, and family, which doesn’t leave room for many other calls. However this week I was able to call my grandparents as well! Of course Grandma Smith was being too social and missed my call once again, but whether I’m talking to her answering machine or hearing Grandma and Grandpa Clendenen’s voices, it was simply music to my ears. Such joy it brought me!

-New Years! Yeah, you read that right! On April 13 (Happy birthday, Denise!) – April 14 the Nepalis celebrated their new year… 2068! That’s right, I’m in the future : )

-Thunderstorms! As I mentioned, the monsoon season is approaching, bringing in lightening with it. Since Nepal’s elevation is high, we are closer to the storms. And let me tell you, the thunderstorms are just AWESOME here. The thunder rumbles for such a long time, even shaking you! I love it : )

-Falafel with friends! One of my favorite places to eat in Nepal is this little street stand in Thamel (a cool part of Nepal) that sells falafels. Mmm mmm mmm are they good! So this hasn’t actually happened yet, but here in a half hour I’m meeting up with some of my Somali friends and we are heading to eat falafel! No rice + delicious falafel + presence of wonderful friends? Yup, it’s gonna be a good day : )



So those are my happenings on my holiday break! School starts here again in just a few days. The school year is broken into 3 terms. I will complete the first term with them up to July 13th, then will head home soon after. I also am REALLY looking forward to just a little over a month when my mom and sister come! Praise God for so many blessings. I hope you are all doing well! HAPPY NEW YEAR 2068!

No comments:

Post a Comment