Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Hello everyone!

Lately my blogs have been educational or about what I’m learning. I thought I’d post this time about updates on my life here.

Teaching at Elim is going well! Next week starts our final examinations. Students will take one exam for 3 hours per day for 8 days. We will end the school year with a week of fun activities. Then we will have 2-ish weeks of holiday, then start the next school year at the end of April. Schools here are nearly year round with a few gaps of holiday. I’ve really enjoyed teaching lately, particularly because I really enjoy my students.

My work placement has extended. Starting today I will also be working with the UN at the KCC – the community center for refugees. I will be teaching a few classes to more refugee students after I’ve finished my work at Elim.

We have limited electricity these days, which basically makes it seem that we never have electricity. Although it’s difficult with school planning and communicating back home, it’s also proved to be enjoyable. I have fun playing with my host siblings without T.V. and also reading books by candlelight.

I am enjoying furthering my friendships here. Although I have found it much more difficult to develop good friendships in Nepal than it is back home. The reasons are: 1) You must be home before it’s dark otherwise it’s very unsafe. So when you work all day then it is nighttime, times with friends during the week rarely exists. 2) Reliability is an issue. Plans are never set in stone and are always changing, so even though you make plans, don’t count on them following through. 3) You can’t just jump in your car and meet your friend somewhere. You either walk or take public transportation, which takes much longer to meet. So when there’s limited daylight hours, it makes meeting difficult. But nonetheless, I’m very grateful to have made friends here in which, even though time is limited, I still truly enjoy that time with them.

Lately the idea of “fear’ has been on my mind and heart. This has grown because of various reasons. 1) Japan is in the middle of a terrible devastation and it’s hard to fathom everyone’s pains (Luckily, the Japanese family/friends I stayed with last year during SAS are doing just fine. Thank God!). There is also the possibility of an earthquake in Nepal right now. An earthquake comes every 74 years here and now it’s been 75 years since the last one. Since Nepal is much less developed and structures are already in terrible shape, I can’t even imagine all the damage that would be done here. 2) at least one bus accident and many car/bike accidents occur every day in Nepal. The reason this is so hard to hear is because my university was deeply affected by a bus accident 4 years ago and I was in a bad car accident 3 years ago. Thinking about all the pain that came from those, just makes the idea of all the accidents here unbearable. 3) I also am a foreigner and my white skin sticks out like no other. Typically foreigners are safe, but I always have my guard up wherever I am. There are many kidnappings, rapings, and murderers here, which I just have to remember is typical of such a big city. So despite all the terrible things that are happening in the world right now, I just have to remember that God is protecting me, is protecting us. The Bible says, “Perfect love casts out all fear,” and no doubt God’s love for us is perfect. So by fearing I am also doubting His love. So as I’m sharing this with you, I just ask for extra prayers… for my safety and God’s protection here, and also that my anxiety with fear doesn’t control my life. Thank you so much.

I hope you are all doing well. I imagine the sun is coming out more and birds are singing songs. It is about 4 months until I return to the U.S., and 2 months until my mother and sister visit here! I’m rather ecstatic for that! So take care, and may God bless you in numerous ways.

“Let your roots grow down into Christ and draw up nourishment from him. See that you go on growing in the Lord, and become strong and vigorous in the truth.” –Colossians 2:7

2 comments:

  1. I love that verse from Colossians.

    I'll be praying for your safety. Although rapes and kidnappings are less common here, I still know how you feel with standing out everywhere you go. I'll pray that the God of PEACE will bring you that each day.

    Can't wait to see you in 4 months! Can you believe that?!?! PA will be here before we know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey, I am praying for you precious one. Thank you for sharing. You are such an awesome woman in Christ. So brilliant, beautiful and filled with love. Your unselfishness is so inspiring. Your example is one we all need to follow. I am so blessed to call you friend, although I worry for you, yet again, you assure us through your writing that you know God is on control....you never cease to amaze me dear! Sending much love, Pam

    ReplyDelete