Saturday, September 4, 2010

Mero Nepali Pariwar (My Nepali Family)

A little over 3 weeks ago I started my adventures to Nepal with so many questions of what it would look like, how the people would act, what would be different than the U.S., what my host family would be like, what my living conditions would be like, how my placement at a school would be, how I would adapt to city-living, who I would meet, what my year would be like, what adventures I might go on, etc. Already so many of those questions have been answered! At the same time, they only bring about so many more questions! I would like to share in this blog post the answers to the questions about my host family and home.

I’ve been blessed with a wonderful host family. They surely make me feel at home and as if I am just another one of their children. It consists of 4 consistent family members, with so many other family members coming and going and some staying for a few months at a time.



Meet Marivic, the mother of the family, mero Nepali ama. She is Filipina and has lived in Nepal for 13 years since she and her husband got married. She’s worked domestic jobs in Singapore, where she met her husband. Here in Nepal she is a stay-at-home-mom, taking care of the kids and cleaning the house. She’s tri-lingual: Filipino, English, and Nepali. She’s outgoing, very easy to talk to, and always thanking God for the struggles He’s brought her through.

Meet Ishor, the father of the family, mero Nepali baa. He grew up in a Nepalese village and now lives in Kathmandu city. He works… but I’m not quite sure on the details of that job, sorry! He is Buddhist, but is okay with his wife and I being Christian. He’s very outgoing, loves to cook, and laughs often. He’s also tri-lingual: his village dialect, Nepali, and some English.

Meet Ian, the 12-year old son of the family, mero Nepali bai. He is in 8th grade, usually quiet, and enjoys watching T.V. He’s bilingual: Nepali and some English. He also enjoys sneaking up on his sister and scaring her.

Meet Michelle, the 4-year old daughter of the family, mero Nepali bahini. She is in pre-school at Elim Kid’s Academy. She is outgoing, is like a monkey climbing on everything, and already shows her intelligence by being quite ornery. She’s bilingual: Nepali and little English.

Meet Meme, the grandpa of the family. He usually lives in a Nepalese village, but has been staying in the Gurung home for a few months. He has had pains in his legs, but the doctors have not been able to figure it out. He is also Buddhist. The other day their lama and some other Buddhist family members had a ceremony in our house praying to Buddha for healing of his pains. He enjoys watching T.V. with and visiting family members living in Kathmandu.

Our house is a 3-story flat located in Busandhara, which is on the very north end of Kathmandu. The Gurungs’ live in the top 2 floors, which also means I get to enjoy the roof! It is located far from most things in the city, so it’s been fun (uh… or not) learning the public transportation. Luckily they use a water purifying system so the water should not make me sick this year! I also get to enjoy a squatter, huge spiders, and wild lizards. AND there are ants EVERYWHERE! In the jam, on my toothbrush, in my laptop keyboard, etc. But despite a few discomforts to get used to, I’ve been blessed with a nice family to live with for the next year.


Many of you have asked for my address and I finally have it! Streets don’t have names here, let alone homes having numbers, so families must pay for a P.O. Box if they want mail. My address for the next year is:

Kelsey Smith
P.O. Box 19667
Sundhara, Kathmandu, Nepal


I hope ya’ll are doing well! Blessings to each of you!

5 comments:

  1. roof access! hopefully you wont get yelled at this time!
    ps. pulse director made sure to tell us the roof was off limits... boo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey - Your host mother is from what part of the Philippines?

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun bit of information for you: We estimate that about 30% of Nepali words are pretty much the same as Bengali words. In this situation I recognize bai (bhai), ama (ama), baa (baba), and mero (amar).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelsey,
    Glad to note you are having fun with ur
    Nepali family..amma,baa,bhai & bahin.
    Hope ur also enjoying big city life & food.
    Did you get to go to a church ?
    'Raid' might help to keep the ants off !!
    Have fun & God Bless,
    shiela,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelsey, Janie and I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. You are having a great experience. You are certainly busy and helping those people lift themeselves spritually and educationally. Janie and Ralph Stuckman

    ReplyDelete