My week of orientation in Akron, Pennsylvania has come to an end. Oh, but it was such a WONDERFUL week! It felt as if the entire world was crunched down to 100 people for a week. Orientation consisted of SALTers (Americans going to other nations to serve), IVEPers (other nationalities coming to the U.S. to serve), and YAMENers (other nationalities going to other foreign countries to serve). Our mini-United Nations crew had a blast together. Many of our sessions focused on Mennonite views on world unity and pacifism. We discussed the theology of oppression and racism. And we prepared for a year of unknowns... a host family, a job, a new language, and an entirely new way of living and understanding life. This week in itself was a growing experience as all of us from around the world learned together and grew new friendships.
And now it's Thursday! Which means it's time to fly! I leave in 1 1/2 hours for Philadelphia airport. My flight flies out at 6:22 pm (EST) to Los Angelos, California... from East coast to West coast! I will then fly from L.A. to Bangkok, Thailand, and then from Bangkok to Kathmandu, Nepal! Flying time totals a little over 30 hours over a 2-day period, so we will see how that goes! There is another SALTer who has been placed in the countryside of Nepal and he will be flying over with me, so it will be nice to have a friend along for company and to navigate the airports.
I will part with some very true lyrics from Bob Seger's "Katmandu" song:
"...I got no quarrel with the Midwest,
The folks out there have given me their best.
I've lived there all my life...
I sure have loved it too.
... I figure, baby, I've got nothing to lose...
That's why I'm going to Katmandu
Up to the mountains where I'm going to.
K-k-k-k-k-Katmandu!"
And remember:
We cannot go where God is not.
Talk to you in Nepal!
:)
No comments:
Post a Comment